Going from lost to a local

Before studying abroad, I have never left the U.S., let alone the East Coast. So, I knew packing my bag to travel halfway across the world for four months was going to be a challenge.
Yet I did not know that in the first day my flight would be canceled, I would be stranded in the airport and left to figure out how to get to my hotel alone. To top it off the taxi's in Madrid went on strike. Needless to say, the first two days of my study abroad experience were not the best.
Toldeo, Spain

Although my first days in Spain did not go as planned, I knew that I had to do my best to adjust to this new country. Here’s my tips on going from lost to a local:


1)     Go with the flow: When traveling things change unexpectedly: one moment you are prepared to board your flight, the next it is canceled. When things like this happen, it is important to just remain calm and see what happens next. If you are lucky (like I was) the airline will be able to put you on a new flight. Just be patient and go with the flow.

Tocino
2) Keep an open mind: Being in a new country there are so many customs you are unfamiliar with. It's important to remember that you are living in this new place so embrace the culture. Try new foods, do different things and meet different people! You won't know what you like until you try it. Study abroad isn't all about traveling around (part of it is), but it is also immersing yourself in a new culture.

3) Confidence is key: Rome was not built in a day, and you will not feel like a local in one either. Your first days in a new country can be exhilarating, but also scary. It is an unfamiliar place, with unusual customs. Although you might not feel at ease, confidence is key. The saying is true, "fake it till you make it." And trust me you'll make it.

Journaling at a Café
4) Find your spot:  Whether it be at the library at your university, a park or café find a place in the city to get out of your room and really embrace your new lifestyle. This will help you feel more like a local, and introduce you to new places, people and foods!

5) Explore, explore, explore: You're not going to feel like a local until you know the city, so the best way to do that is explore! Wander around the streets and find new restaurants and places to go. Bring your friends with you and make it an adventure!

Studying abroad is not easy, it’s not supposed to be, it’s supposed to empower you to become more independent and more confident. Although my study abroad journey has only just begun, everyday I feel more at ease and more confident in my host city.





Comments

  1. Hi Megan! Joycelin shared your blog with me :-) I'm so delighted to hear that you've been selected to be an ISA blogger! You'll be tremendous and I'm very happy to had applied for the opportunity. Sounds like you're getting settled in, and I look forward to hearing more about your time in Spain. I'm actually heading there in a few weeks and hope to see all of you! Will keep you posted. And thank you for doing a Takeover Tuesday for the office! It's fantastic. Warm regards, Jane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's Grace

The Good of COVID-19