The Good of COVID-19

Quarantine has not been easy. There have been terrible days when it feels like I'm drowning, and unable to reach the surface. I have lost my last two months of my senior year of college, my graduation and so many more memories that I will not have. Yet, I will never say quarantine has been all bad.




My last post was about my faith journey, and how I see my faith lived out in the good I encounter in my daily life. Finding the good in every day wasn't always easy before quarantine. Now, in the midst of a pandemic it sometimes feels impossible to find good, but when I think about it COVID has given me a lot to be grateful for:

  1.  Free Time: For some reason or another life always seems so busy, so busy that we don't always get to do the things we want to. Now, all we have is time! So, I've been able to catch up on all of the books I've been wanting to read, teach (teach is a strong word) myself the guitar (more like learn a few chords), paint till my heart's content, listen to music, read scripture, pray and write and write and write! All this free time has allowed me the opportunity to recharge my soul! It feels like I have been going non-stop since the time I was 5; bouncing around from school to practice to hanging out with friends. As the years went on my priorities changed to work, school, homework, volunteering and maybe -- if I'm lucky -- stealing a few moments with friends and family. For one of the first times in my life I have the chance to slow down. It has also given me the opportunity to reflect on where I am now in my life, and where I hope to be going!
  2. Gratitude: Now don't get me wrong, this sucks! All I want to do is have a drink at a bar with my friends, but society is closed for business. Yet, there is something almost wonderful about seeing our society broken, because it is showing us all the grace we once took for granted. This time -- I hope -- will help us be more grateful for the life we once had, and all the amazing things to come next. I hope that this will help us all to be more appreciative of all of the little things that we used to take for granted. I hope that never again I take for granted the hug of my friends, a crowded bar where you can't order a drink and just living life without wearing a mask! My biggest wish is that this gratitude never ends. I truly hope for the rest of our lives we can be grateful for all that we receive, the good and the bad. The time of COVID-19 has taught me that "it's possible to praise in the storm" (Molly Bruce). 
  3. We Are Not Alone: COVID has also shown the strength of the human spirit. Clearly we cannot be together like we used to, but people still come together. People still come together to pray, celebrate birthdays and graduations... all from six feet apart or course! But people are finding ways to be together without being physically present, how beautiful is that? That we are still reaching our arms open wide, when we can't physically embrace?! I am constantly overwhelmed with the love I have seen during this time. From people thanking the essential workers they don't know, to organizing birthday parades, to performing concerts for assisted living communities to just being there for people. I have felt so much love during this time from my friends, family, peers and faith community. I think we are learning how to be there for others when we can't actually be "there." That being there for people is something we can do regardless of space and distance, and I hope I can keep showing up for the ones I love. 
These are just somethings I've been thinking about -- when all I have is time to think. I know a lot of bad has happened because of this virus, but a lot of good has come out of it too. I was listening to a podcast yesterday called Abiding Together, and one of the hosts said, "when the Lord shakes things, it is to bring people awake" (Michelle Benzinger). I sat and reflected with this for awhile. Maybe this is something we needed; to slow down from our hectic every day lives to focus on the things that truly matter. Hopefully, we don't go back to "normal." That this pandemic can show us how to love intentionally, praise in our suffering and care better for our planet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going from lost to a local

Today's Grace

Little Things