Handprint on my Heart: Florida Service Trip 2020

I want to start this post with a poem:

"Today was the absolute worst day ever
And don't try to convince me that
There's something good in every day
Because, when you take a closer look,
This world is a pretty evil place.
Even if
Some goodness does shine through once in a while
Satisfaction and happiness don't last.
And it's not true that
It's all in the mind and heart
Because
True happiness can be attained
Only if one's surroundings are good
It's not true that good exists
I'm sure you can agree that
The reality
Creates
My attitude
It's all beyond my control
And you'll never in a million years hear me say
Today was a very good day."


This past week I was able to see the meaning behind this poem. I was lucky enough to go on a week-long service trip to Panama City, Florida with 11 of my classmates to aid in disaster relief. When we first got there we didn't see the effects of Hurricane Michael since we were in the touristy section of the city that was rebuilt first. We also didn't realize how bad the hurricane actually was. Throughout the week we realized that Hurricane Michael, which hit in October 2018, was the fourth strongest hurricane to hit the states. Originally it was categorized as a level four, but the gale force winds were so strong that the equipment broke, so there was not an accurate reading. Eventually it was categorized as a level five hurricane.

Perhaps the saddest fact about Hurricane Michael was the lack of media coverage. For one of the biggest storms to hit the U.S. very little people knew about it. It was also extremely sobering to see that a year and a half later that much of the damage caused by the hurricane wasn't repaired.

For most of the week we helped to demo and rebuild houses that were effected by Hurricane Michael. This was a challenge for us. When applying to our Service and Solidarity Program which organizes the mission trips, we all stated that we were very uncomfortable with construction, and that we would prefer working with people. For me personally I didn't want to do construction at all. It didn't appeal to me whatsoever, and I was extremely disappointed that I wasn't going to have the opportunity to work with people.


I would not have made it through the week without the 11 incredible strangers that quickly turned into family. The participants on the trips are randomly assigned, so I really didn't know any of them. At first no one really spoke, so I was terrified it was going to be a long and silent week. However, we quickly opened up to each other and began laughing for hours playing black magic, impersonating vegetables, making ice cream and telling stories.

I have never met a group with so much positivity and tenacity. Although construction is not what we signed up for, everyone took it in stride. We made our work fun by signing songs (sometimes in dumpsters), and asking silly questions. We encouraged each other, and worked as hard as we possibly could. It was simply incredible to me: the positive attitude that each person on the trip had, and no one ever complained (except me occasionally). Many of the people on the trip had past injuries that hindered them to complete some of the tasks, and yet they never gave up or complained. They took their shortcomings and turned them into strengths. When the rest of us were tired and sore they cheered us on, and lightened the mood. Everyone had their different strengths and weaknesses. Lily said it best; she described it like holding hands: the gaps between your fingers are your weaknesses, and your fingers are your gifts, when you intertwine your hands with someone else they fill your gaps with their gifts and vice versa, showing that although at times we don't feel as though we are enough, there is always someone to fill your gaps, and that we all have gifts to share.
On trips like this I often expect to see God in the people I serve, or feel God's presence within myself. However, this trip was completely different. Although I did see God in those who we helped, I saw God so fiercely within the others on my trip. They taught me to laugh like no one is watching, to be patient and kind when all you want to do is scream, and to have a positive heart. They have inspired me beyond words and I hope I will be able to show it in my actions. I'm so blessed to have 11 more forever friends, with hearts so big, laughs so infectious and souls made of light.



"There are only two ways to live your life. One as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle."
-Albert Einstein

They showed me how to live life with a smile on my face, and a song in my heart 
(probably a Disney song).

Now read the poem from bottom to top, to see what they taught me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going from lost to a local

Today's Grace

Little Things