Hello


Most years for Lent I give up coffee. Typically, it is quite challenging for me to abstain from my favorite drink. But, when I got to college —ironically— I started drinking coffee less. Since I no longer drink coffee I was puzzled at what I should give up for Lent. Maybe I should give up something other than food, but what? Then it hit me. Instagram. I am always on the site continuously checking my feed, or mindlessly navigating the app. Instagram has become so engraved in my life that I will click on the app without even realizing it. My life revolved around Instagram. I was an Instagram zombie scavenging for likes, brainlessly scrolling from photo to photo with no sense of purpose. I realized I needed a change. 

          It has been five days since I deleted the app, and I still constantly click on the location where my Instagram app used to be. Now, instead of seeing perfectly edited photos, I see folder upon folder of Quizlet flash cards. Hopefully replacing Instagram with Quizlet will force me to study more.

        Although my Instagram hiatus has been brief, I have noticed some changes within myself. Without Instagram I have more time to focus on my school work, so I have become more productive. I am also less concerned about what others think of me. I no longer feel the need to prove that I am having a fun time. I can live in the moment. So far some of the outcomes of deleting Instagram have been lovely, but there have been some downsides. I have lost my creative outlet.
        This blog is my new Instagram, only better. Instead of posting superficial photos for likes I can publish my thoughts. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes words are worth more. Hopefully I can blog some meaningful content, and maybe spread some positivity.
       I am not done with Instagram, at the end Lent I will go back to the app. Hopefully I will learn more from my Instagram vacation and from my journey with Sunflowers and Honey.  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going from lost to a local

Today's Grace

The Good of COVID-19