Sweet Serendipity

Hello everyone!

I'm a little late on writing about my travels. I have been very busy with midterms and traveling -- not a pleasant mix I should add. In this post I will talk about the serendipity I encountered while traveling a few weeks ago.
Ponta de Piedad

On March 9th, my friend Amanda and I went to Lagos, Portugal. This was a very last minute trip, that we only planned four days in advanced. We weren't expecting it to be anything special, it was just something to do, on a weekend we had an excursion with our program. Although, Lagos wasn't on of the cities we had our hearts set on visiting, it will be by far one of our favorite adventures.

We took a four hour bus to Lagos from Sevilla. It was a pretty quick ride. We just ate, laughed, talked and slept. Once we arrived we made our way to our hostel. It was our first time staying at a hostel, so we were very nervous. It turned out to be a pretty nice place, and the workers were very helpful and friendly. After we settled in, we headed out to explore.

I did a little research on things we should see in Lagos, one of them being Ponta de Piedade. From my research it was a beautiful man-made bridge that was built into the rocks. It looked beautiful, so we wanted to check it our. Ponta de Piedade was a far walk, and we didn't know what to expect. Once
Exploring
we got there it was incredible. We stood on the most beautiful cliffs. The rocks were a burnt red and the ocean a clear teal blue, it was incredible. We walked for awhile along the coast, exploring bluff after bluff. We saw boats going into caves below, and we wanted to do that too. Earlier we saw signs for boat tours for about 30 euros, more in the center of the city. We decided that it was too late to walk all the way back to the city and take a boat tour, so we would try to do it tomorrow. I was disappointed that we hadn't seen the bridge I discovered online. It looked beautiful and I wanted to see it.

As we continued to explore the coast, we found a staircase that lead to the water. We climbed down the staircase, and there we met a man who offered us a boat tour for 15 euros. Now, this seemed a little sketchy, but there were a lot of people around, so if we needed help we could scream. So, we boarded the boat.
Boat Tour

This was one of the most incredible experiences of my entire life. It was beyond words. There were so many massive caves and huge rocks jutting out of the water, it was beautiful. The water alone was incredible; it was so clear and blue I had never seen anything like it in my entire life. I was in constant awe the entire time. I think that was one of the best experiences of my entire life. It was absolutely incredible.

After our serendipitous boat tour, we headed back to the town. We stumbled along a gelato shop right outside our hostel, and decided to get some. We did not realize how much we needed it, until we started eating it. I got lemon; it was refreshing, delicious and topped with creamy whipped cream!

Then, we got ready for dinner. We found a place that had small, but expensive tapas. Everything was delicious, but not very filling. So, we stumbled our way into a pizza shop. It was delicious and inexpensive. After, our much needed pizza we went to find dessert. I got a large merengue, by far the best I've had in my entire life. I can't wait to have another one, when I travel to Portugal again this upcoming weekend.

After dessert we were tired, but it was still early. We weren't sure what to do, because everything in Lagos was starting to close -- although it was only 9:00 pm. We decided that we'd go to bed early, so we could get up to watch the sunrise. This was one of the best things that happened to us. If we found something to do in Lagos, we would've stayed out late and been too tired to get up early, and would've missed the sunrise.

The sunrise was beautiful. We sat on the beach wrapped in a blanket and watch the sun poke up from
Sunrise
over the horizon. The sky went from dark, to deep red to light blue in a matter of minutes. It was beautiful. Then, we got hungry. It was only 7:00 am so nothing in Lagos was opened yet. So, we explored the beach. We went through a little cave, to discover another beach on the other side. We also found thousands of beautiful shells (of course I took a ton home with me). While waiting for the only restaurant in Lagos that opened at 8:00 am to open, we collected shells.

Finally, it was 8:00. The café we found was pretty much the only thing opened. We were exhausting and hungry, so we went there. It turned out to be an English café which served real breakfast. I'm talking eggs, bacon, home fries and pancakes. The whole nine yards. Not Spanish breakfast where you have a piece of toast with olive oil. I ordered blueberry pancakes and home fries; it was exactly what we needed.

The family who owned the restaurant was also in there eating breakfast. The mom was holding the
Amanda and Zelda
cutest dog named Zelda. Of course Amanda and I were ogling over the dog, so she let us hold her. As we were holding her, the little boy max would come over to us and the dog and kiss her and hug her. It melted my heart. It was the cutest thing ever. It was complete serendipity that we stumbled upon Café Odeon. It was such a wonderful experience, and I am so grateful for it.

After breakfast, we concluded our trip at the beach. We discovered beach after beach. Each beach was connected by a cave. It was so cool to explore. As we went through one of the caves, I saw it. The bridge I had been looking for! It was really beautiful, and we found it by chance. I was so happy to have been able to do all the things I wanted to. We spent a few hours at the beach, and then got way too hot. We knew we needed lunch before our bus home, so we left the beach in search for lunch.

The café we found served all sorts of delicious foods. I got an acai bowl for the first time. It was beautiful and tasted amazing. The acai was topped with sour apples, bananas, pineapple, strawberries and cinnamon granola. The acai was almost like frozen yogurt, and was exactly what my dehydrated body needed. After the acai bowls, we were still a little hungry, so we ordered honey avocado toast. Let's just say I have a new favorite breakfast. It was delicious.
Acai Bowls

Then we headed back to our lovely host city of Sevilla. Right as Amanda and I were parting ways I ran into my friends Jimmy and Sydney. What were the chances that we would be in the exact same place at the same time? Serendipity! It was so good to have someone to walk home with, because I was exhausted.

The trip to Lagos was incredible. Along our journey we encountered small strokes of luck, like finding a cheap boat tour, meeting a sweet family and eating delicious foods. Although we were only in Lagos for 24 hours it has been one of my favorite trips. Lagos stole a piece of my heart. I hope I can go back there one day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going from lost to a local

Today's Grace

Little Things