Mi Vida en Sevilla

I have written two posts since I've been here, but I haven't really talked about my host city Sevilla. So, in this post I'm going to talk a little about my life here.






I live in a home stay with my host mom Carmen, and her daughter, Angela. I also have a roommate Zoe, who is a sophomore from Appalachian State in North Carolina. Carmen and Angela are so sweet; they are really like a second family. In our program our host families are required to feed us three meals a day, do our laundry and clean the house. Carmen and Angela do all of that and more, I feel like I'm staying in a hotel. Not only do they fulfill their responsibilities as a host

family, they care for us. They always ask us about our day and make us feel like we are part of the family. Before I left for one of my trips, Carmen wished me luck and gave me a big hug; it feels like I have a mom looking out for me.

In the morning I wake up around 7:30 and have toast with a chocolate spread called "Choco Duo." It is white and regular chocolate...life changing. Since I'm "studying abroad," I have to go to classes (really not a fan of this concept, but it's part of the conditions of living in Spain for four months). In Sevilla, I go to Universidad Pablo de Olavide, affectionately referred as UPO. My journey to school begins with a 5-minute walk to the metro station, a 20-minute metro ride and then a 10-minute walk to class. All in all, my commute is usually around 40 minutes. At UPO I take 4 classes: Communication and Media in the Digital Age, Spanish Identity: Film, Advertising and Pop Music, Spanish Conversación and Lección y Redacción. Classes are classes. So far, they have been decently interesting and not too much work, so I can't complain.

After class I head home for lunch. Lunch is served at 2:30-3:00. My host mom makes me a hot meal that varies each day. Sometimes it is meatballs, other days it is chicken and potatoes, others it's soup. The main staples in the house are chicken, potatoes and bread. After lunch is dessert. I usually pick an orange, but we can also choose from mandarins, yogurt or ice cream.
Sabors de España samples

Following lunch, I have become accustomed to the Spanish siesta. I will often nap for an hour or two. After my much-needed siesta I will usually venture out into the city. What I do depends on the weather and how much homework I have. Somedays I will go to a café with friends to do homework, other days we will shop, or explore Parque de Maria Luisa, and some days we just sit by the river. I'm a sucker for every pastry shop and gelato place; I've been trying so many desserts. My favorite shop is called Sabors de España. They sell nuts and candy and offer free samples. FREE! And everything tastes amazing.
The city is just so beautiful. The buildings have so much character, and everywhere you look is an orange tree. The city even has a beautiful canal running through it. There are always people in the streets: children, teens, adults and the elderly, always talking and eating and laughing. It is just a beautiful place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going from lost to a local

Today's Grace

The Good of COVID-19