When in Rome

February 8th through the 10th I went on my first trip to Italy! I was lucky enough to plan this trip last minute to see my roommate from my home university. Overall it was a fun trip, but it did not start out well.

Getting to Rome from Spain, was easy. I flew from Sevilla to Verona, Italy and had about an hour layover. From Verona I flew to my destination of Rome. Now, here's where things started to go downhill:

First, I don't know how Rome's transportation systems work. So, I board my train to get into the city, all goes well. I get off to switch trains, and I get on the right one! (Go me!). Yet, it's going in the opposite direction... of course. So, I hop off the train and try to collect my bearings. Of course I have no idea where I am, and I'm alone for the next 4 hours until I can meet up with my roommate. I decide my best bet is to take an Uber to the Vatican.

A 25 minute Uber ride later, sorry Mom and Dad I arrive at the Vatican Museum. The second I step out of the car a man comes up to me and starts talking a mile a minute, "Oh you speak English! Hello! Are you here for the tour? Oh you already have your ticket. Great! Follow me! You're from Massachusetts? My sister lives in New York! I like your jacket." And he starts leading me away from the Vatican museum. The bells go off in my head that something isn't quite right here.

The guy keeps talking, and leading my down the street, "So, you're late, but you'll be put in an American tour group. See, all the tour guides with the flags? See this is much easier. You're getting an upgrade, and you won't have to walk all the way around the Vatican." I ask him, "oh are you sure this is the right way?" He responds, "Oh yes, yes. I'm just a volunteer, and you're getting the upgrade."

Yep, that's when I was like no way. There is no way this guy is working as a volunteer, for free. So, I pretend to get a phone call that my friends are waiting for me inside the Vatican. Although I was pretending to be on the phone, he would not stop talking. Eventually I told him that I would go talk to my friends about his "deal," and we would come back. Then, I made my way into the Vatican museum.

After that I was a little shaky for the next few hours, and unfortunately didn't enjoy the museum as much as I should have. Once, I finished looking around at the museum I made my way to where I was meeting my friends. I was a little early, but I got a gelato and wandered in and out of shops (the gelato was good, but Sevilla's is better).
Angel Statue

As I'm sitting by the fountain in Piazza Navona enjoying my gelato my roommate Elizabeth calls me; she says that they're at the Pantheon and they have to go back to the bus. So, I start freaking out, because I now have to meet them at the Pantheon. I put the destination into my GPS and start running.

Once I get there, my friends are no where to be found. I call my Elizabeth, she's at our original meeting place... where I just was. Great. So, I hustle back to Piazza Navona, to finally meet up with my friends. Once Elizabeth and I saw each other in the piazza we ran to each other. I was so happy I was no longer alone!

After we checked into our Air Bnb and got settled, we went out for dinner. Pasta Carbonera. Oh. My. Goodness. I had not had pasta like that in such a long time, it was delicious: creamy, cheesy and rich. The pasta was cooked aldente  perfection! For dessert, Elizabeth and I split tiramisu, and our table got a plate of cookies. Amazing first meal in Italy!

My Lizzie McGuire Moment
The next day we got up to explore the city. First, we went to the Spanish Steps (I felt right at home). Not exactly sure what all the hype is about... they are steps. Beautiful steps, but just steps. Then, we wandered past Versace, Dior, Dolce & Gabbanna and many more designer stores. We stubbled into a café and ordered cappuccinos and cornettas (croissants filled with Boston cream donut filling). Very delicious.

After, we went to the Trevi Fountain. My favorite part of Italy. It was beautiful. We took lots of pictures there, and of course made our wishes! I won't tell you what mine it, but it's been coming true! The Trevi Fountain was definitely a Lizzie McGuire moment, totally what dreams are made of!

After the Trevi Fountain we tried some samples of Limoncello and did some shopping. Then, we made our way to what we thought was the Jewish Ghetto, instead we stumbled upon some very cool Roman ruins. Then by chance the Tiber River was right there it smelt horrendous yet, it was pretty cool to see it.

Then, we walked to the Coliseum. We were exhausted, but the massive amphitheater made the long walk worth it. It was ginormous. It is incredible that humans were able to able to build such a massive structure without modern technology. What is even more impressive is the fact that it is still standing. It was beautiful, and of course we got some incredible pictures there!
Elizabeth and I at the Coliseum

After seeing the Coliseum we needed something to eat. So when in Rome... I got PIZZA! Just so delicious. A simple plain slice of pizza folded in half. The grease dripping down the bag and sauce oozing out the sides. Simply wonderful. After our bellies were filled with grease and happiness, we went back to the Air BnB and relaxed before dinner.



For dinner, I had homemade raviolis filled with cheese and artichokes. Amazing. Delicious. To die for. An amazing dinner all around. After dinner we hung out at some bars.

I had a wonderful time visiting my friends in Rome. Although I had a great time, the city was not what I expected. It was busy, dirty and crazy. Not like my lovely home Sevilla. It made me realize that Sevilla is the perfect place for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going from lost to a local

Today's Grace

The Good of COVID-19